Thursday, July 13, 2006

Public Display of Affection (for God)


I put on Tefillin every morning (the picture is not of me!). What's interesting is when I have a roommate (as I do this week) who is not Jewish and completely unfamiliar with the custom.

On the one hand, it's a bit intimidating, because it's the uncomfortable being "different," particularly with something that looks somewhat odd to the typical Western eye.

On the other hand, it's liberating and empowering because it gives me additional confidence in who I am and provides an opportunity for open dialogue and a chance to talk religion on a serious level.

We began a conversation about God and where he is. One of the "downsides" of God is that He is everywhere and I know it. When I'm considering my actions, I'm very well aware of his presence. I guess it's not a downside, it's probably an upside, right? If it makes me stay on the right path, I guess I come out ahead.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments