Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Interviewing....

Over time, we all see that the best organizations/teams, etc. are comprised of the best people. People make all of the difference (that's at the heart of the new Microsoft "People-Ready" campaign)

Herewith are the questions I ask (usually in order, but not always) and the reasons I ask them.

1. Do you understand the role? [make sure we're on the same page]

2. OK, so why you? [can the person enunciate a value proposition succintly]

3. Prove it. [is there evidence to support the value proposition]

4. What do you do outside of work? [does the person have balance and what are the things s/he is passionate about?]

5. What is the biggest mistake you have made as a professional? [is the person self-reflective?]

6. Tell me about your passion for technology [is the person looking for a "safe job" or is the person truly committed? then, benchmark vs. passions from #4]

7. Do you pay attention to detail? [I usually look for problems/typos in the resume and highlight, but only to see how the person reacts under pressure]

8. What is the 1 line you would like me to remember about you? [reiteration of value proposition...is it consistent?]

9. Tell me about a creative solution to a problem. [does the person have creativity?]

10. Constructive Criticism-can you offer and receive it well? Everyone says YES. Then I say, "ok, we've been talking for 40 minutes, how can I improve my interview questions? How am I doing? [does the person have critical analytical skills?]

11. What was the toughest interview question you've ever been asked? Now answer it. [I'm always looking for good questions and like to hear what people have to say]

12. Who was the best boss you ever had? Why? [what does this person look for in others?]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments