Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Boston...

I'm here for a Microsoft conference and apparently am staying at the oldest continuously operating hotel in America or at least that is what it says on the plaque out front.

I have to say, I really love this city. It's got character and charm. Admittedly, it's July and not December, but I love the architecture, the history, the feel. It's a great city for walking and if my memory serves me correct, it's on the same latitude as Rome, which enhances, at least in my mind, a European flavor.

The tight, narrow streets, the brick buildings that are worn a bit from salty air, wind, and harsh winters just add to it. I walked 20 minutes to the Convention Center and back to Federal Street, over to Faneiul Hall Marketplace and down Washington Street as well as along the side of Boston Common on my way over to the financial district (at least it was where the Prudential tower is).

As a history buff, it's great to be in a place like this, near the Old North Church of Paul Rever fame (saw a plaque adjacent to a church cemetery with some other notables, including Samuel Adams, I believe), and the location of the Boston Tea Party.

In preparation for the trip, I watched a Modern Marvels segment about "The Big Dig" and could appreciate the tunnel from the airport (apparently there was a section that collapsed last night, adding a bit of drama; notwithstanding the fact that two people were hurt, I think.

I've long said that I think Boston and San Francisco are America's 2 most beautiful cities. I'm partial to being near the open water, but Boston has solidified its location on that list.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments