Monday, July 10, 2006

adult children who live at home...

I hired a friend of our family to serve as my taxi on the way to the
airport today. He's a rising senior in college and the youngest of 3
children. All of them are living at home this summer.

I felt for his parents. Here they are, thinking that by ages 21-28, they
would be empty nesters and now they've got 3 freeloaders!

I'm going to develop an accelerating rental/service fee system that
starts off when a child turns 18 and rises each year. You want to live
at home, great, here's the monthly fee (we will have free days for
holidays/family occasions, etc.-I don't want a disincentive to come home
for important things). You make the economic decision of whether it's
worth it to live here or not. By the time they are 25 or 26, it starts
getting pretty steep and the push out of the proverbial nest gets
stronger and stronger.

Maybe I'll work with my economics professor college roommate to come up
with an equation.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments