Tuesday, July 25, 2006

No Lead Left Behind...

We have a motto at work: "No Lead Left Behind."

Marketing is an expensive proposition and when a customer indicates that s/he has interest, you had better do everything you can to follow up on it and close the sale.

A friend of my family just started a food prep/catering business. She sent out a postcard (direct mail) with some nice creative and a catchy URL.

I saw her about a week later and said, "you know, I'm going into the hospital in 2 weeks for my thyroidectomy, it'd be great to give Tamar [my wife] a breather and give you an opportunity to show what you've got. Send me a quote [and I gave her the specifications.]"

Nothing.

Not a call, not an email.

I was debating with my wife whether I should call this young entrepreneur and tell her about her mistake.

Tamar asked me, "why are you so worked up about this?"

"Because I'm a marketer and I know how hard it is to generate a lead, so it pisses me off when anyone gets a lead and doesn't follow up on it."

No Lead Left Behind!
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments