Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Laptops Up...

There's a saying at Microsoft "Laptops Down," which is when your boss (or her boss, etc.) wants your undivided attention and tells you to stop e-mailing.

I began my discussion this AM saying "Laptops Up. And please open up Outlook."

(note: it wasn't a presentation b/c it was designed to be two-way vs. one-way)

I got some quizzical looks...and their attention...at least for a minute.

Then, I said,

"Look, you have a job to do. That's important. My job is to earn your attention and make it worth your while to listen. Not expect that you will listen to me because I have put together a PowerPoint deck."

Attention (previous posts here).

It's the currency of the million channel world.

You don't have it, you have to earn it...every single minute.

And you know what? I think it'll make all of us better communicators.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments