Monday, April 23, 2007

Negotiation Efforts...

Comcast raised my TV rates by 50% (because a promotional offer I had expired). Here's my effort at negotiating them down (I asked for the fax number of the VP for Customer Retention in my area). Comcast response to follow (if it comes)

Ms. Goode,

I am told you are responsible for Customer Retention in Montgomery County, MD. My account is:XXXXXXX

You will see that approx. 1 year ago, I canceled high-speed Internet service (in favor of Verizon FIOS). At around that time, I was put on a $39.99/month Basic/Preferred TV Plan.

All was good.

The 12 month promotion, however, ended in March and my rate is $60/month now.  The Billing Rep told me she had no flexibility in keeping me at the $39/month plan. I wanted to confirm that before I leave Comcast as a subscriber of your TV service.

Here's why:

At $39/month, ($44 w/taxes), the savings of $2/month in terms of hassle and switching costs doesn't make it worthwhile to move to Verizon's TV service ($42.95 before tax), so I've stayed. For $24/year, it's worth it.

However, at a $18/month difference, we're talking $216/year...and that is worth it.

My family is not a big TV family, so losing a few of the marginal channels doesn't really matter to us. Since both Comcast and Verizon offer the basics, I am confident we'll be just fine... :-). 

I am not concerned at all re: Verizon's quality since

  1. 1. a few friends have it and they are pleased
  2. 2. since I installed Verizon's FIOS internet, it has NEVER gone down on me, compared to a 1/month Comcast router reboot.

I just want to understand if you have any flexibility compared to the billing rep.

I understand you are running a business and I understand you have profit goals to hit, so if $60/month is the lowest you can go, that's fine and I'll just switch. But, since the pipes are here, I'm already a subscriber, and the marginal cost of servicing my account would, it seem to me, be VERY low, I thought it would be a better deal for you to give up on the extra $20 month than to lose the recurring $40/month.

You can reach me via email at xxx@xxxx.xxx or by phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx

Looks like I'm not the only one who has left Comcast.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments