Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Inconsistent Experience....

Flying to Redmond for a few days. I get an email last night from United re: automated check-in. Great!

I go through the process and then I see an offer.

Redeem 15,000 miles for a First Class Upgrade.

I figure, what the heck, let's give it a whirl (redeeming miles is so difficult anyway), so I "make the purchase."

When I confirm, I get a message:

"Due to a system-wide error, this purchase cannot be confirmed."

What was once painless has the risk of becoming painful.

  • were my miles deducted?
  • will I get the upgrade?

All I can see now is hassle...having to prove that in fact I didn't use the miles or having to figure out if I did indeed get the upgrade.

Then, I get to check-in counter. The lady there says, "that's not up to us, talk to the gate agent."

I get to the gate. He says, "We can't make the same offer to you here as you get online?"

Why not?

There's one airline. I'm one customer. Why should I have different experiences depending on where I am in your organization.

(Update: I did get the First Class Upgrade after all...though there were a few system glitches. My profile said: Upgrade Waitlist, but on the master Waitlist file, I wasn't there)

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments