Thursday, April 19, 2007

Advertising in the Million Channel World...

With DVR's, it's old news that people don't watch commercials anymore. Product placement was the next evolution and as I watched the Apprentice lat night, (yes, I still do), the bulk of the storyline centered on Renuzit's Super Odor Neutralizer.

So, here's what's interesting...

On Tuesday night, I left a pot on the stove for too long (while I was down in my 'man cave') and the house was filled with smoke (the detectors went off and everything).

For 24 hours, we were trying to rid the house of the smell. Opened windows, lit scented candles, boiled cinnamon, washed some blankets and the works.

On Wed. night, I watched the show, but despite the fact that I was consumed with the idea of getting the smoky smell out of my house, I didn't put it all together.

Then, on Thurs. AM, it clicks...hey, this product can solve my current problem (if it does what it claims to do).

As luck would have it, my neighbor calls and asks if there's anything we need from the store. Usually, I hand the phone to my wife, but this time, I said:

"Yes, I need Renuzit's Super Odor Neutralizer, if you can find it."

And then I said, "and if you can't, don't get me anything."

A couple of questions have since popped into my mind.

  1. let's say I saw the Apprentice Renuzit episode 1 week ago, would I still remember the product name or its benefits when the problem arose this week?
  2. why did I say to my neighbor "this is the only one I want." ( i think it's because I want to see if it actually works the way they claimed on the Apprentice commercial w/in a show format)

Suffice it to say, if it had been a regular commercial during a different show, I NEVER would have seen it.

And, weird enough, I slowed down the DVR playback to actually watch a real Renuzit commercial during the Apprentice, just to see how they presented it.

I couldn't tell you any other product that was advertised during a commercial of that show, but I

  1. saw the episode telling a story about Renuzit
  2. had the brand reinforced by willingly watching the commercial
  3. have a pressing problem that this product may solve
  4. am insisting on trying it (since my other methods aren't working fully)

Just a strange series of events that make me think about how I am influenced by advertisers in a DVR/Internet world.

(update: my neighbor couldn't find the product at CVS. We're going to try Costco and Shoppers)

(2nd update: my wife went to Costco. No luck. Not so good on the demand fulfillment side,huh?)

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments