Thursday, April 05, 2007

Book Review: Moneyball

If you are one who analyzes problems and enjoys it, read this book.

If you like baseball, read this book.

If you like statistics, economics, or understanding how the market isn't always "perfect," read this book.

In Moneyball, Michael Lewis explains how Billy Beane, the General Manager of the Oakland A's used statistics to realize that what was traditionally valued in baseball (a high batting average and speed) was actually not the correct traits to look for in winning games. His realization...it's On Base Percentage. How often does someone get on base (either by a hit or a walk-which are not counted in Batting Average.)

The book tells a GREAT story of Billy's career-that wasn't-and his ability to fashion a winning team with the 2nd lowest payroll in baseball.

Thanks to my family members taking care of my kids over the Passover holiday, I read it in 2 days.

I've just picked up Lewis' next book (about football) called The Blind Side

Other books of his that I've read include Liar's Poker (about Wall St.) and The New New Thing about Silicon Valley.

I love it when I find a book that I just can't put down. Moneyball was one of them.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments