Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What is Web 2.0?

There's been a lot of talk recently about Web 2.0, the 2nd coming of the Internet, as it were. On the one hand, it's hype and bubble mania, but on the other hand, it represents legitimate excitement for the extreme potential of the Internet technologies.

So, what is Web 2.0 really? Well, there are a LOT of opinions out there (see wikipedia for a good overview)

I'm loving the ideas of:

  1. using software as a service and user-generated content. If you look at the right nav bar of this blog, you'll see a lot of little applications that are just copied and pasted from other sites. The data and the programming sits on another site and all I'm doing is saying, "hey, I need you."

    For example...the list of links I select via http://del.icio.us or the updated articles from www.digg.com When I add a book to my Amazon Store it just shows up. I also love my my personal Google Search Engine and am playing around more with a personal Flickr page for sharing pics.
  2. the power of networks and groups to make wise decisions. www.linkedin.com is one effort to help you connect with other people. I played around with http://me.dium.com which allows you to see (in real-time) where your friends are surfing on the Net (and to meet people who are visiting the same site as you). Rapleaf is trying to create a network of trust (a la eBay) but independent of any platform...save their own.

Where this goes is anyone's guess but it could definitely change whole industries.

Think about a mutual fund that is made up of the recommendations of your smartest investor friends and easily manageable (and transparent) online....(Note: got this idea after a conversation with Dion Hinchcliffe who edits the Web 2.0 Journal)

I love the idea of personal Amazon Wishlist or Froogle Wishlist. Want to get me something? Don't even think about it...I've already told you (this isn't a solicitation).

I'm sure I'll riff on this more later...but suffice it to say, it's pretty exciting stuff.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments