Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Going to the brink...

There are a number of downsides of my ego telling me that I have to be a technology early adopter. One of them is that I know that...roughly every 6-8 months...I'm going to have a "going to the brink of disaster" type of day.

On these days, the entire technology paradigm in which I am invested heavily is challenged. Data loss is a distinct possibility and it's going to take at least 1-2 days to come back to reality.

Today was one of those days.

I woke up at 4am (thanks to my son) and when I couldn't fall asleep, figured I'd do some work...until I couldn't log on to my new Windows Vista machine. At all. Nothing.

When I got to the office, it took me 3 hours to get everything right...and I'm still not there, but I am on the other side. Finally.

There were moments during the day when total data loss (and yes, I do backup, but still...) appeared to be a distinct possibility. But we made it....

I guess I think part of my credibility as a technologist is that it's important to go to the brink at times...come back allive...and be better off because of it.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments