Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Making light of it all...

Let me say first off that though I know I have cancer, I also know that on the scale of severity, it's, thankfully, not that severe.

Perhaps that is why I have a stoic attitude. I won't have to undergo chemo, I don't think, and the success rate is in the high 90's. I sometimes feel that people's outreach and concern, though greatly appreciated, is excessive given the type of cancer that I have.

Part of my way of dealing with the challenge is to make light of it.

To wit...of the many emails I've received offering support, one person, whose wife is an excellent Moroccan chef, offered a catered Moroccan meal (a favorite of mine).

My response: "A catered Moroccan meal. Man, this cancer thing is a pretty good deal!"

Another friend and I talk about the cost of medical care frequently. While chatting with him, I realized I would have to put together a compelling ROI analysis to justify the insurance expenditures on my treatment. What's worse, we realized, was...what happens if I can't? :-)

I do feel bad, however, because I don't feel like I am truly in a life and death struggle the way so many others, with far worse types of cancer are. I don't want to minimize their struggle in any way and perhaps I shouldn't be so cavalier about it.

Tomorrow, I'll be making calls to get the surgery set up...target is mid-July.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments