Sunday, June 11, 2006

Here Yesterday, Gone Today...

Two weeks ago today, my next door neighbor called me to ask a favor. We had always been friendly with each other, with a wave in the morning or afternoon, etc., but never really had much to do with them.

"My Hodgkins disease is acting up," he said [I didn't even know he had the disease]. "Can you take my trash cans out to the curb for me?" [for Mon AM pickup]

I did it and last week, as well, without a call.

I found out a few hours ago that he died this morning. Just like that.

For a moment this afternoon after I heard, I was taken inwardly focused after opening a higher than usual credit card bill (I keep telling myself that they are higher than usual, but when it's every month, it may be that I need to re-define 'usual.')

I took a breath and thought about Marvin, my neighbor, and got a fresh perspective.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments