Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Extolling the virtues of the 24/7 digital world

I go into my office about 1 day per week.

The rest of the time, I am out seeing customers and partners or working from home.

Thanks to the Internet, laptop, and cell phones, I am free to be as productive as possible whenever I want. The flip side of this is having the flexibility to NOT work during 9-5 hours and avoid the hassle and fatigue of commutes/commuting time.

If Tamar needs to go to the dentist, I can move things around to take care of the kids. If I need/want to travel, I am free to do so.

Part of this is that I am not paid by the hour, but rather by the results of my efforts. Of course, I need to coordinate schedules w/others, but I have had conference calls with colleagues at 10pm and 11pm.

I guess I read a lot about how the 24/7 world means we're always working, but not so much about how it has opened up freedoms and flexibility in a work-life balance that were previously unimaginable.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments