Monday, June 26, 2006

Bedside manner...

I know full well that my type of cancer is, in the grand scheme of things, not that big a deal. Doctors who know this, and there are a bunch on my list (though not all), tend to say "you'll be ok."

Now, I may not need or want sympathy, but that doesn't mean I don't like it.

I've noticed that the doctors responses, directly and indirectly, have lacked a bit of the bedside manner, a skill they supposedly foster in med school.

Ranging from, "you'll be fine" to outright dismissive, it's been a bit shocking to see.

Now, maybe it's because when a layperson hears 'cancer' s/he thinks grave no matter what and doctors know that thyroid, compared to other, more serious cancers, just isn't a big deal.

Still, it'd be nice to hear a "it must be tough as a young father to confront the concept of cancer. Fortunately, thyroid is highly curable," or something like that.

A few did say that, but it's been remarkable that not all of them have.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments