Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Broadcasting the bad news...

Most people have been VERY supportive when they receive my email about my thyroid cancer. Of course, what are they going to say “I hope you don’t feel better or get well?”

 

I guess I mean supportive in the sense that I am pro-actively reaching out with the news. Part of it stems from a desire to let people know so there are no secrets, but part of it is selfish. I feel like part of my therapy is in confronting the reality, which is hard to avoid when you email 1000 people about it and also in getting the responses. I know I asked people not to write, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t feel good to know that all of these people care.

 

Not confronting bad news publicly or sharing it is, in my mind, going to cause longer-term deleterious effects. Better to get it out there and focus on healing that to try and hide it.

 

More on this to come, of that I am sure!

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments