Monday, June 26, 2006

Flood of '06

I have never been more scared for the safety of my family than I was tonight.

Tamar had the kids in her car and we all were driving home in a torrential downpour. It was incredible. Streets were flooded, you could see about 30 feet in front of you, and most everyone was drivign w/hazard lights on.

I was so nervous about their safety and so relieved to find them at home when I arrived.

Once the most important issue was addressed, I went downstairs to the basement. I had an inkling of what might happen.

Twice last summer, the drain at the basement door was so covered w/leaves and debris that it flooded my basement.

I've tried a number of tactics to prevent this from happening, but with the Armaggedon rainfaill we were experiencing, I was expecting some flooding. I had raised all of my computer equipment off the floor so it wouldn't be destroyed (the man cave is right near the basement door), but I didn't expect to see the extent of flooding. It was immense.

It's been 4 hours and thanks to David Price who has an industrial strength WetVac (otherwise I'd be here through Thursday), we're getting close to cleaning this mess up.

I've got more ideas on how to defeat Mother Nature (or at least contain her) on this particular challenge and it's obvious I'm going to have to try some of them out.

The basement is so humid and I'm walking around in only shorts, sweating profusely. I feel like I'm in the Bayou. It'll be a long time before I forget this one.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments