Tuesday, June 27, 2006

FEMA Director

That's what I've felt like in my basement for the past 48 hours (feels like a week).

I've got limited resources in terms of :
Manpower-Tamar (limited due to childcare) and me
Machines -a wetvac, two dehumidifers, 1 bathroom fan, two mobile fans (1 large, 1 small)
Accessories-mops, folding chairs, various other things you might find in a basement, etc.

Problems:
-clean up all water
-prevent any possible mold/mildew issues
-attempt to save all rugs from total destruction


The area of the disaster is quite vast, probably 40% of the total basement had water penetration and 70% of the area was affected in some way.

Solution:
Run the dehumidifers and fans constantly while moving them around to optimize distribution of impact.

I also raised almost all of the rugs off the floor to increase the circulation under the rugs and likelihood of drying.

Current status:
I've decided to triage two rugs out. One (which had received the most limited attention) is still wet and I don't think it's going to make it. Plus, its utility to the household was most limited.

Instead, I am focusing all resources on the two most important areas and rugs (my office) and the main room, where we have a large area rug that is perfect for the kids.

I've concentrated one fan and one dehumidifier in each of the high value areas and am running them 24 hours a day. That, comibned with the heat generated causing the A/C to run more often is going to cause for a more expensive electrical bill this month.

In addition, I called in my general contractor and am dropping the nuclear bomb on the outside storm drain problem. We're going to build a structure that entirely closes it off preventing water and debris from entering and draining the excess water away from the house.

This is what happens in emergencies. You've got limited resources and you've got to make decisions about what (who) will be saved. It stinks, but if you try and save everything, you will probably save nothing.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments