Thursday, June 01, 2006

Looking down through time...

My grandfather had a stroke last week. The outlook isn't great.

I took Calanit to see him on Thursday in the hospital. Joining us was my mother.

I noticed that the three people in the room with my grandfather were the first-born of each generation of his direct lineage. My mother, his first-born. I am the first grandchild, and Calanit, the first great-grandchild.

Immortality eludes all of us in a physical form, but I imagine that when you are lying in a hospital bed towards the end of your life, you can feel a certain sense of eternity as you see your offspring standing at different waypoints on the road of life. And in the eyes of an 2.5 year old girl, your great-granddaughter, perhaps you feel some sense of comfort in the face of the unknown, final journey you are about to make.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments