Sunday, March 19, 2006

Like the tides....

In order to parent well, I think you need to have an understanding of tidal behavior.

On the shores, the tides come in and recede every 6 hours. With parenting, the tides of intense focus and relax time happen more frequently. For us, it's 2-3 hours (a little different at night).

I put the kids down at 9pm last night and by midnight (I should have gone to bed at 10, but that's a different story), I could feel the tides coming in. Sure enough, 30 minutes later Erez was stirring. I fed him and rocked him back to sleep. Started getting ready for bed (again) and then;heard Calanit cry out. She'd had a nightmare (both have been sick as well) and I gave her some Tylenol. She wouldn't go back to sleep.

I asked if she wanted to be "snugged in Abba's bed." So, at 2.45am, Calanit is lying in my bed reading Just Like Dora as if she belongs there and that's what she should be doing.

At 3am, I tell her the party's over and I turn off the lights.

Figuring she was up so late, she might sleep late, I reconciled my late bedtime.

The next tide rolled in at 7.30 and lasted until about 10.30 with all types of shenanigans including running noses, false potty alarms, screaming, crying, eating, and much more.

The tide rolled out and now we're in a lull, but I know it's coming back soon.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments