Sunday, March 26, 2006

The benefits...and dangers...of tracking


If there's one thing that I've found in life, it's that tracking performance and rankings serves as a great motivator. When I was focused on losing weight, I did this relentlessly. It worked well for me and gave me some good perspective on progress.

Out of curiosity, I've started tracking daily hits to the blog. People often tell me, "oh, I check your blog" and though I can't see who actually does, I can line up the number of people who say they do with the number of people who hit the page each day.

For kicks, and since I'm an Excel junkie, I've been tracking (and charting) those results. (It's zero for all future dates and updates automatically as I enter in the data). The black line is the moving average.

That leads me, of course, to what makes a compelling blog?

One of my more avid readers, Gadi, tells me that the components to a good blog are:
1. frequent posts
2. at least 2 good, thought provoking posts/ruminations per week

Now that I have an audience, albeit a small one, I've got the challenge of all content producers in the Tivo era...keeping people's attention.

The downside of tracking is that I know, on a daily basis, if people care to read what I write. Now, my ego inflates/deflates with the trend on the moving average :-)
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments