Monday, June 30, 2008

Thank You Note Bankruptcy…

I’ve heard people declare email bankruptcy, but I wonder if anyone has declared “thank you note bankruptcy?”

It’s been 3 months since Gianni’s simchat bat and there are still items which we haven’t even opened.

Part of me lives in a denial state of “if we haven’t opened it, we don’t have to write a thank you note for it.”

It’s not that we don’t appreciate the gifts (though the whole institution can be questioned), but with 3 kids, it’s an activity that keeps getting pushed down the priority scale.

I’ve had people tell me that for 3rd or 4th kids, they just make a phone call  (more environmentally friendly anyway, I suppose) and gift-givers should understand.

So, I guess there’s a sliding degree of difficulty scale for gifts. Newlyweds must respond, people with 6 or 7 kids: you write the  note for them.

If we haven’t written to you yet, apologies. Seriously.

And while I am on the topic of gifts, I’ll return to my usual rant questioning the whole practice.

Got an email the other day from a future guest saying:

“We  know we can’t bring anything per the NFO, but wanted to ask you directly what is permissible.”

So, then I was in the position of sending him the list of acceptable gift items. It felt a bit childish.

Upon further reflection, I realized I have an ongoing/evolving bridal registry. Given my utilitarian outlook, I suppose this is logical.

Since when we go to weddings, I either give cash or buy something off the registry.

Now, back to the original topic: is thank you  note bankruptcy an option or am I just being ungrateful?

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments