Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Epitaph, Take 2 and the Digital Natives

Still could go with the ideas in version 1 of the epitaph, but have another one.

It’s tied to my self-perception as a technology early adopter.

How about this?

“Sent his first email in 1991.”

This came up the other night when I attended an event and was talking with 2 guys who were 23 years old.

The conversation turned to demographics and how I am Gen X and they are (not Gen Y) rather “Digital Natives” or “Millenials.”

One fellow remarked that he knew he was a digital native because when he first started getting interested in girls, he didn’t go home and call them, he IM’d them.

I listed my accomplishments for the guys, who were born the year after we got our first Mac to demonstrate that I could “run with the Digital Natives” crowd, those who grew up online.

Some guys buy Porsches to stay young, I try to get 23 year olds to stand in awe of my techno-street cred!!

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments