Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Costco and my Toilet…

I read an article last week about how good oral hygiene can lead to better general health in the Costco Connection magazine.

I dutifully forwarded it to a contact at JNJ on the Listerine team.

That motivated me to go use the Listerine in my basement bathroom.

When I got in there, I heard some gurgling in the shower and toilet drain from the running water in the kitchen above.

I’d heard that before and knew that it meant the drain was starting to get clogged up and it was only a matter of time before I’d have a mini flood in my basement.

I tried to snake the drain and the toilet, no success.

Debated calling a plumber, but two things hit me

  1. I didn’t feel like dropping $300 just yet
  2. The spirit of Poppy, ever the handyman arose within me.

The longer you own your home, at least for me, the more likely you are to try it out yourself. Even if I mess it up, I’ll end up calling the plumber…and I will have learned something.

I began to dismantle the toilet.

The NFO was not in favor of this idea. She said, “call the plumber and just watch him.”

I heard the “watch him” part and found a video on YouTube from Home Depot on toilet replacement.

I watched it.

Glad I did, because I discovered I need a wax ring to replace, which I’ll have to get tomorrow.

So, game plan.

  1. get wax ring/Drano at Target, wherever
  2. remove toilet
  3. snake toilet
  4. pour down some Drano
  5. test

If it works, great. If not, oh well.

This reminds me…I really need to use the Listerine. My friend calls this “peeling back the layers of the onion.”

You start at one point, and next thing you know you are 6 steps away.

Wish me luck.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments