Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Book Review: Secrets of Consulting

I'm of the opinion that pretty much everyone in the "knowledge economy" is a consultant.

What Secrets of Consulting does -pretty well-is boil down a lot of the truths about working with people (his first rule is, "no matter what, it's ALWAYS a people problem") into simple little proverbs (hey, like the one I just cited!)

Some others

  • Clients always know how to solve their problems, and always tell the solution in the first five minutes
  • Study for understanding, not for criticism
  • Once you eliminate your number one problem, number 2 gets a promotion
  • You'll never accomplish anything if you care who gets the credit

My feelings on this book were roller-coaster like. I started off very excited, then got fatigued with it in the middle, and pressed on, found some reward at the end.

If I had one criticism, it would be length and flow (ok, that's two). I felt like the points could have come across a bit more succintly and I just wish that the "story" had gripped me a bit more.

However, if listening skills and communication are areas of development for you (I know they are for me), this may be worth picking up.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments