Friday, December 15, 2006

Your Resume...2006 edition

Every 6 months or so, I update my resume. I'm very satisfied in my job now, but I like to keep it fresh.

It occurred to me, however, that the resume I'd been using (a standard Word format) is the same one that pre-dates the Internte era. Almost all text (I do have my picture there) and very static.

That's ridiculous.

A few weeks ago, I saw a TV segment on a guy who posted his video resume to YouTube (there was some controversy, but that's a different story). That got me thinking about how people interact with information...and what information they need about you to make a hiring decision.

Sidebar: about 2 months ago, I was approached for an interview by someone who found me on LinkedIn, which showed me some value in the network...finally.

Those two forces made me realize that
  1. a more interactive, Internet-era-ready resume was necessary
  2. the ability to quickly show some of my value (in terms of network strength, for example) makes a lot of sense
  3. people work their network for people (which I knew, of course, but was nice to realize)
So, I've moved my official resume to a Public Profile on LinkedIn.

Now you can see how many connections I have and read (as of last count) 27 different endorsements of my work over time from colleagues, managers, and business partners.

Plus, I can add links (it'd be nice to add pictures of myself) to relevant links (say an article I've written).

I'm working on a video resume (it's going to take some time) as well, but I'll put it there as well. (You'll also notice that I've got a LinkedIn profile badge on my sidebar-to the right-of the blog).

And here's a good article about the LinkedIn service.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments