Friday, December 15, 2006

Attention Economy...Career Goal

I think my career destiny is to be an attention merchant.

I work on the fundamental belief that everyone's attention is limited and therefore, highly valuable.

The person who can effectively capture--and hold--the attention of another is someone who can charge a premium.

But it goes beyond pure shock value, because that's transient.

Which is why, for me, this blog is a great social experiment. I wrote about this before (here) and it's why I spend more time than I should thinking about...
  1. how often I should blog
  2. what I should blog on
  3. how I should write a post
  4. what should the "lead story" be for those of you whose habit is to check in the AM (and since I tend to blog in the PM). My assumption is that if the "lead story" isn't good, you're less likely to stay
  5. what will generate comments

I tweak those variables (and probably some others) to figure out what is it that garners and holds the attention of readers.

If I can figure that out and then get paid for it....well, that would be the ultimate. I'm working on it.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments