Friday, December 15, 2006

She doesn't look Jewish...

A colleague of mine (does it make a difference if she's in an admin position) from Indonesia sees me the other day.

[Relevant background...she had met Tamar at the holiday party last weekend]

"So," I ask, "do you have holiday plans?" She explains them.

"And you celebrate Hannukah?" she asks.

"Yes, that's right."

"What about Christmas?"

"No, I don't."

"What about your wife?"

"No, she doesn't either."

"She's Jewish, too?"

"Yes."

"Really, she doesn't look Jewish."

"Hmmm..well, what does Jewish look like?"


I guess she got a bit uncomfortable at this point, thinking I was attacking her (I wasn't, just trying to figure out what she meant) and then came to her defense...
"Well, my wife does sometimes have people think she's Italian or Latina" {that has happened].
Anyway, just a strange moment...
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments