Tuesday, April 04, 2006

XM Radio...

I don’t have it and have only been in a car that has it once before, but having it on the plane is truly enjoyable.

There’s something very interesting about the concept and capabilities of choosing from so many stations. It’s a continuation of what the Internet has begun, allowing people to find the narrow band of interest that they enjoy and tune in to it (notice metaphor ?)

This is both good and bad.

On the one hand, you get what you want (and advertisers get the audience they want.)
On the other, it continues to divide us because we share less and less of a common cultural bond.

What's more, you have the option of avoiding alternative thinking.

For example, channel 166 is Wall St. Journal radio. That's my style and I started listening to it.

Channel 167 is Air America, which I was pretty sure was not my style. I had to force myself to say "you know, I'd like to expand my mind and listen, really listen, to the opinions of people with whom I know I disagree. But it wasn't easy...

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments