Sunday, April 23, 2006

Dealing with death...

The Dalai Lama wrote in his book "The Art of Happiness" that you are supposed to envision unpleasant scenarios and how you will deal with them should they occur. This, he states, makes it easier to handle them if/when they do arrive.

I just returned from a memorial service for the 58 year old mother of one of my longest-standing friends (since Kindergarten). She died of cancer and the tributes were truly beautiful. It's sad to see these types of things happen.

Last week, I was shocked to hear that one of my classmates from Japan, of whom I was quite fond, had died in an auto accident, leaving a widow and a 6 year old daughter.

And now I am faced with the illnesses of my beloved grandparents. One has cancer, the other lung-related issues.

Intellectually I know they (no one) lives forever. I just wonder if the Dalai Lama is right about this one.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments