Friday, June 17, 2011

It's not Information Overload...

As Clay Shirky says, "It's not information overload, it's filter failure."
Three times in a 24 hour period, I was asked the question of "I can't even read all of the good stuff I get from people, how does this play out?"

Needless to say, I don't know, but I think it comes down to a few things.
  1. Changes that we make in our behavior
  2. New and improved automated tools
  3. An increasing role and respect for the "curators" in our network.
The change in behavior is going to be the way we use tools and processes to decide what comes in and what doesn't.

Just like Amazon recommends books to you, your technology is going to get "smarter" suggesting what you should read, watch, meet all predicted based on your past behavior.

And, ultimately, you'll develop and be clear (combined with the tools) about WHOM in your network is the "go-to" person for whatever.

Now, if you're not the "go-to" person for something, I think it's going to be increasingly challenging to get people's attention, if you want it.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments