Sunday, May 18, 2008

Industrial Revolution of the Mind...

Since I started following Internet trends, one of the people I've enjoyed most learning from is Clay Shirky.

He's got tremendous clarity about how the Internet continues to unfold and what it means for society at large.

In this video, (well worth it) he shares how the shift from passive (TV) to active participation (Internet) will have effects on culture and society that are equivalent to those of the Industrial Revolution.

Americans spend about 200 billion hours per year watching TV and if we can reallocate a portion of that to more creative, participatory endeavors, the possibilities are endless. Call out to Dean Collins for the link.

One of the points he mentions is how more and more people are taking their free time away from TV to the Internet.  I'm no exception.

Last week, I saw that my 12 month promotion which I had creatively negotiated with Comcast last year had expired.

I called them up and said, "look at $40, the service is barely worth it to me. AT $65, it's not worth it at all." And it's not.

I'd be willing to get rid of the TV altogether, honestly.

Bottom line, I got it for $34/month. TV is just not a value add for me.

Shirky explains why.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments