Thursday, May 08, 2008

Story-Beta 1

As a marketer and would-be marketing consultant guru, I know that the most important thing I need is "a good story" to tell.

No question about that.

What I need help with is "finding my own story."

I know it's rough, but since I believe in "perpetual beta" and "co-creating" with the community, I am going to practice what I preach. And who better to ask than the FOJ community?

Question of the day: Does this work?

You: So, what do you do?

Me: I'm a marketing navigator for the attention economy.

You: What?
{but at least I have your attention and permission to go on for a few more seconds]

Me:

Let me tell you a story.

"At Microsoft, there was an oft-heard statement of "Laptops Down!"

Usually, some VP or someone would demand everyone's attention and insist that laptops were closed and no email, etc. was being done. This is a hallmark of an era where someone could expect or insist on the attention of an audience. Of course, as soon as laptops were down, Blackberries (er, Windows Mobile devices) came out surreptitiously. Just because the VP asked for attention, didn't mean that everyone gave it.

I did it a bit differently. When I started a presentation, I said, "OK, laptops up. Open up Outlook. Start doing email."

I got puzzled looks. But, I was serious.

Why?

Because, I wasn't entitled to their (or your) attention. I had to earn it by being more exciting, more interesting, and more stimulating than their/your email, phone, or thinking about carpool. It's my job to earn that and if I can't, I don't deserve it.

And how did I do it (not always successfully, of course)? By focusing on conversations that engaged the audience and stimulated participation.

My colleagues at Microsoft are no different than your customers.

They don't owe you anything. Attention, respect, permission...nada. There are 6 billion channels out there clamoring for their attention and they continue to tune out traditional marketing messages and tactics which, like the VP at Microsoft, simply expect and demand their attention. Right, like that will work.

You owe them relevant, interesting, and stimulating information based on open and authentic dialogue. You have to build relationships and participate in dialogue that shows your corporate personality and solidifies connections so you can earn and keep your cutomers attention and permission.

And that's what I help companies do. Build conversation-based relationships to generate revenue (after all, we're in business to make money).

and for the kicker, I'll add in this...

Over the course of an almost 6 year career at Microsoft, Jeremy implemented numerous scalable community building (and revenue generating) programs. His efforts were recognized more than once as US-wide best practices and he authored one of Microsoft’s most successful marketing blogs with over 110k views per month.

So, what do you think? Does this work?

And if you don't like "marketing navigator," choose one of the following.

Marketing

  1. Guide
  2. Consquistador
  3. Advocate
  4. Sacagawea
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments