Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Property Tax Appeal...DENIED

I read somewhere that only something like 1% (or fewer) of home owners appeal their property tax assessments.

But, of those that do, 50% are successful in getting a reduction.

I figured, why not?

3 years ago, I appealed and lost. And while I know that the statistics aren't cumulative and the previous results have no bearing on future results, I figured the odds were in my favor if I appealed again.

I was wrong.

Try as I might, I wasn't able to persuade the Tax officer that a reduction was worth it.

So, I lost.

Of course, I knew I was starting from a position of weakness:

the state assessment of the property value is still less than what we paid for the house!

Better luck next time, right?

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments