Sunday, July 22, 2007

Incentives and Bribes...

People respond to incentives. 3 year olds are no different.

Saturday afternoon, Paco had just gone down for a nap. I was about to.

I said to Tungsten (aka Tonka), "I'll give you 3 pieces of gum if you
take a nap now."

"A long nap or a short nap?"
[a short nap means she just lies on her bed. A long nap means she actually
sleeps.]

"A long nap."

"4 pieces!" she said..

"Deal."

That made everyone in the house very happy (including me...the girl is learning how to negotiate and wheel and deal.) And she did.

Sunday morning, she came into my room at 6:15am. She knows she is not supposed to show up until her clock says "7 or 8."

I offered her 3 pieces of gum to go downstairs and get herself some yogurt and cheese (her breakfast of champions.).

She agreed.

Later, I realized, that was a bad call. She should be doing that anyway.

I explained to Tungsten.

"I'll pay up since I promised I would, but from now on, you will not get
bonuses or incentives for doing 'your job,' you will when you go above and
beyond."

No more bribes, just an incentive-based compensation structure.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments