Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Changing Perception, Changing Value

For years, I thought of myself as "cutting" or "bleeding" edge when it came to technology matters. I prided myself on being one of the first to know about a new website, a new gadget, etc. I enjoyed being the "virtual Chief Technology Officer" for a large portion of my network.

Over the past few weeks, however, I've had to challenge that perception of myself.

First with Kayak, then with Veoh (ht: josh halpern), and now with Facebook, I feel like I am behind the curve.

It's Facebook, more than any other, that is causing me consternation. It's interesting and all, but I am not passionate about it the way others seem to be...I don't get why it's so fantastic. (For the record, I felt that way about MySpace)

The fact that I don't get it gives me concern that my technology mind is, to some extent, ossifying.

The question that I face (and we all do as we age, I suppose) is:
given that there is always someone younger, smarter, and willing to work
harder than we are, what can we do to maintain or
better increase our value to
others?

I have some answers, but will address in a later post.

What do you think?
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments