Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dating the married way....

A few weeks ago, I get a postcard in the mail that says:

"You have been selected to receive 2 free round-trip tickets anywhere Delta flies in the US AND a $500 shopping spree!"

I call the number and find out that, if I bring my wife and sit through a 90 minute sales pitch from Great Escapes Vacation packages, we are eligible.

So, I say to my spouse..."how'd you like to go out on a date with me to listen to their pitch?"

She agrees and we decide that our frame of reference is just to have a good time with each other.

Figuring we have nothing to lose, we drive to Tysons Corner (through torrential rain) and arrive at 7.58 for the 8pm presentation.

We are told, "we're running a bit behind, but we will telescope the presentation, so you get out of here at the same time."

We wait...and wait...and wait. Finally, at 8.30pm, we are called into the room.

Now, during the waiting time, I had asked the receptionist, a young looking guy, for the business card of the person in charge, so when the salesperson sits us down (prior to the main presentation) and says, "there's no way you'll get out of here by 9.30," I have no choice but to act.

"Look, as a salesperson, your word is your bond. You committed to us that we would be out of here at 9.30 and we would receive our vouchers and our shopping $ at that time. Now, you are saying that isn't the case. I don't think that's acceptable."

She goes over and gets the boss whose card I have. I address him by name and title.

"How do you know that?" he asked.

I show him his card.

He tries to cajole. He offers us a chance to come back for more. I insist he's got an obligation to meet.

Bottom line: after 8 minutes, we walk out of there, vouchers/certificates in hand and we don't even have to listen to the vacation packages pitch.

On the way there, my date took a nap in the car. On the way home, she got a call from her sister.

Ah, dating as a married couple :-)

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments