Sunday, June 10, 2007

Comments on the day of rest...

I owe Tom some thoughts on his beautiful, spiritual insights.

Actually, I don't think there is much to add. ONe of the best books I've read, and one that had the most profound impact on me vis a vis a true day of rest, was A. J. Heschel's book, The Sabbath.

I think Tom hit the nail on the head.

Having the discipline to remove yourself from the day to day obligations is not limiting, it's liberating. When you look from a distance at the restrictions of what cannot be done by an observant Jew on the Sabbath, it seems overwhelming, but, like any pursuit which requires discipline...and to some extent...self-denial, there is a freedom and a reward inherent in it.

The quality family time, the regenerative physical aspects, the "quiet" zone away from the noise of TV, radio, phone, and email.

It may seem strange and foreign...but now that I have it, I can't live without it. Nor do I want to.

I am glad that Tom had an experience through which he had a glimpse of my world. And I thank him for sharing.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments