Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wanted: Eulogy Speaker...

Advance warning: You need a real sense of humor to appreciate this post. Can't take it too seriously.

So, I'm on the board of my synagogue, a duty and responsibility which I value. But, you know me. I tend to make decisions really quickly, debate a bit, but not for too long.

Well, non-profit institutions, as you well know don't operate that way necessarily. And, as the saying goes, "two Jews, three opinions."

The debates are important and people are committed and passionate. I am not trying to minimize or downplay the significance of the discussion, it's just that the pace of progress is VERY different from how I run my life. Remember, in my work, if I don't like a policy, I change it...immediately.

So, the other night, I come home from a meeting and a call comes in from a friend. After a while, the conversation takes a turn to the synagogue Board.

He asked, "so, how is it going?"

"I think it is taking years off my life," I joked. "In fact, I think I am going to change my will to mandate that someone at my eulogy say, 'were it not for his involvement with the Board of his synagogue, he'd still be with us."

Mind you, I am not blaming the Board for my death (that will happen regardless), I'm just saying that it's going to cause a premature one.

So, if you think you have what it takes to be the eulogy speaker who can effectively deliver this line, add your name to the comment. (I already have two volunteers).

(I told you that a sense of humor was needed).
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments