Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thoughts on Starting a Business...

While I am FAR from a success story, I am closing in on 11 months of profitable operations.

A number of people have asked me my opinion on how to best get an operation rolling.

I figured I'd blog it here and invite others to share their experiences and comments.

From my perspective, the three most important things you need to do when starting a business are:
  1. Sell
  2. Sell
  3. Sell
As my Poppy used to say, "it all starts with the sale, everything flows from there." This is always true, but particularly important when getting started.

I've been asked about logos, setting up an LLC, business credit cards, etc. These things are important, but they are secondary. When starting a business, it's important to remember what Peter Drucker said:

"The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer."

In other words, prove that your business can do that. I just think that time is your most important asset and time-t0-revenue your most important benchmark of success. The first few customers, I believe, are going to go with you because they believe in YOU, not because they are impressed by your logo, website, or stationery.

The time spent on doing those things is an opportunity cost that is quite large in not being spent in pursuing opportunities.

I am not saying all of the trappings of business aren't important, what I am saying is that they can wait...or at least they can wait to be perfected.

Yes, you need a business card, but go to www.moocards.com or anywhere else and do a basic one.

As my friend, Rob Lederer once advised me, "Do. Refine as you go."

Once you see that your business has some legs and momentum, you will be able to take a deep breath and address the other issues.

I said that if I made it from May to December and it looked like things were moving, I would then form an LLC, which I did.

Same for a business bank account.

(I had a business credit card already, but that's a pretty quick process.)

So, if you find yourself starting a new business or unemployed and looking to do some consulting, go hard after your first client or two, then worry about the operations and infrastructure.

Just one man's opinion here...

Thoughts?
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments