Monday, March 16, 2009

Are Personal Blogs Impersonal?

I've had a debate ranging with a friend of mine for the past 18 years.

Ever since I began the periodic "mass mailings" to the FOJ's back in 1991, Sue has told me that she doesn't like them.

They aren't written directly to her, so it loses some of the connection.

The move to the blog in 2000 didn't change her opinion and  we've agreed to disagree.

Now, last week, as some of you know, was my birthday and I got a wonderfully long letter from Pippa, an FOJ since '94. She's also a very loyal blog reader.

I didn't have the energy to write a full response back, but I told her that I really appreciated it (and I did) and sorry, I couldn't be more personal (compared to the impersonal blog).

We traded emails a few more times and she explained that there was no need for me to write a long note back to her, because as she wrote:

"Last thought for the night - i think it is funny that you think of your blog
as indirect communication - it always feels like direct communication to me."

Just interesting (again!) how two people can read the exact same thing and have two totally different reactions.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments