Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Lonely Widow...

Went outside on Friday night (after the kids were asleep) to admire my handiwork (I had mowed the lawn) and enjoy the beautiful spring evening.

I looked over at my neighbor's house and saw her sitting at her kitchen table, the Sabbath lights lit behind her.

She was alone.

About a year ago, her husband called me on a Sunday night and asked me to take his garbage to the curb for him.

"My Hodgkins has returned," he said.

I didn't even know he had it. Two weeks later, he was dead.

I thought about all I have...a wonderful wife, two wonderful kids, good health (at the moment) and just felt a pang of hurt imagining her predicament.

I'm not saying she's unhappy. She may not be lonely, but it's hard to imagine that she isn't.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments