Thursday, January 15, 2009

Is it worth fighting Panasonic?

Panasonic Corporation パナソニック株式会社

Image via Wikipedia

Here’s the situation. Would like your input on what I should do.

Four years ago, I purchased a 32 inch Panasonic TV (model: CT32SL14J) at Circuit City for approx. $600.

The other night, it just stopped working. Can’t power it on.

(It was the TV itself. No fuse had blown. It was on surge protector. All other devices attached to the surge protector were fine).

After calling a few TV repair shops, one said, “it’s the power supply, this happens on that unit a lot.”

Estimates range from $170 on up.

Obviously, the TV is out of warranty (only 1 year).

I called Panasonic’s 800 number. Their response: “We can give you 15% off our TV’s through a loyalty program.”

The cheapest one is $1019

Note: I contrast this TV with the Sony in my basement. 20 years old and still going strong.

Question:

  1. should I just accept the fact that things break?
  2. should I call Panasonic and say, “hey, don’t you think this is ridiculous?” and continue to press the issue

What would you do?

And how would you go about doing it?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments