Sunday, January 11, 2009

Are We There Yet?

A parent's most dreaded question when traveling with kids.

There's no easy way to answer this (unless, of course you are actually 'there.')

What I realized, however, is that I have to redefine what "there" means for the kids. In 'there" I mean that "the journey is the destination."

We may be going to X, but the way to X is full of travel experiences.

Taking money out of an ATM in a foreign country, waiting in line to refill your pre-paid cellphone, parking in a garage...these are all part of why we travel. That's how real people live.

When I lived in Germany and Japan, I used to say that you didn't 'live' in a foreign country until you had your dry cleaning done there.

And the difference between traveler and tourist is, in my mind, how you choose to look at the events of your day.

Is a series of places you must see? Check off your list?

Or do you just say, 'no matter what I do here, I am traveling?"

The latter is how I like to roll...and what I am trying to teach my kids.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments