Monday, April 07, 2008

Appreciating America...

Everyone's got their beef with America/Americans. If I have one, it's people taking for granted the freedoms we enjoy.

I've told the story of my time in Berlin when I was 14 that had a profound impact on my life, but I particularly enjoy talking with immigrants to American (especially those from former Communist countries).

They DO NOT take liberty and freedom for granted because they know what it is like to live without it.

My old friend from the Snickelways days, Mike Petrov, brings his family of 6 to Washington, DC every year (not an easy job, to be sure) to help instill in them a pride/appreciation for America.

I hadn't seen Mike in 8 years or so, but we picked up right where we left off, talking technology.

Plus, I had the chance to pontificate about how he should think about the marketing of his company (if you need a reliable IT firm in NYC, he's your guy...who wouldn't trust a former boxer in the Russian army to get the job done?!)

Anyway, always great to reconnect with old friends and, in this case, to appreciate what we've got through the eyes of someone who cherishes it. Thanks, Mike!


blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments