Monday, April 28, 2008

Leaving Microsoft....

Let's see...I worked  at one of the wealthiest, most stable, most profitable companies in the  history of the planet (Microsoft), why would I ever give that up?

Here's the note I sent out to my colleagues:

I wanted to let you know that I have resigned from my role on the US Public Sector Partner Marketing, effective May 2nd.

One of the topics I blog about often is the need to protect and grow one’s personal ‘micro-brand.’ (e.g. here, here, and here).

Last November, I switched from SMSP field sales/marketing to the Public Sector BMO.  For a variety of reasons, the ‘fit’ for which I had hoped wasn’t there. I was not adding value in the way I am normally capable, or that my manager and her team require.

And my ‘micro-brand’ was suffering for it.

Add in the personal challenges of my wife’s month-long bedrest, a new baby, and 1 month of paternity leave, and the ‘fit’ did not improve.

So, I figured, it was better to simply admit that the ‘fit’ wasn’t there, give my manager and her team a chance to find the right person ASAP, and prevent further damage to my ‘micro-brand’ by offering my resignation.

I’d prefer to take it on myself to find a new opportunity (at Microsoft or elsewhere) on my own time than to stay in a role that was hurting my reputation and my team’s effectiveness.

I am executing my backup-recovery plan (hint: read I Didn't See It Coming...) and am always open to hearing about opportunities.

I’ve spent 5.5 years at Microsoft and am tremendously grateful for the experiences I have had, but mostly for the people I have met. That’s why I am emailing you.

If you would like to stay in touch, please

· Let me know via email

· Subscribe by email or RSS to my blog

· Connect via LinkedIn, Facebook, Plaxo, Twitter, Tumblr (Skype: jer979)

As for what is next, see here...

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments