Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thoughtless Comments...

I like learning from my mistakes (if they are, of course), but I prefer to learn from others :-)

I've definitely excelled, at times, at making the inappropriate remark (see here), but today I got to overhear someone else.

Background:

One of our good friends, Tamar Lustman, has single-handedly driven the vision, fundraising, and execution of a new playground for kids at our synagogue.

Whether you think it is a good idea or not, her ability to get things done is impressive.

Today, as her husband and I were walking down the steps to the post-services reception, we overheard some of the folks behind us.

One of them looked out the window and said:

"That's all you get for $40,000? Pretty bad!"

I just patted Tamar's husband on the shoulder and said, "I guess you can't please all the people all the time, eh?"

Good lesson...you never know who is listening. Or, as Tamar said to me later, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments