Thursday, October 25, 2007

Go with the professor...

Second semester of sophomore year, Simmy Schopf tells me to take "French Government in Thought and Practice from 1648-1715"

"Uh, Simmy, I don't care about the French NOW. Why would I care about them then?"

"It's not the course. The professor is the BEST one in the entire school."

Not only did I take it, but I took "French Government in Thought and Practice from 1598-1648" the next semester. I also convinced Dr. Ranum to be my thesis adviser.

Big takeaway...it doesn't matter how sexy the title of the course. The professor makes or breaks it.

In my chat yesterday with Scott Chait, he of the much-needed LinkedIn re-design, he was looking for some career advice. He had listed all of the things that he enjoys doing and said, "I've got to find a place where I can do that."

"Wrong, my friend. It's not the place, you need to find the right boss."

You're a linebacker. You need to find a coach who appreciates your skills as a linebacker, your passion for being a linebacker, and, if you're as good as I think you are, one who will change part of the defense to highlight your skills. Don't go to a place where the coach makes you play wide receiver."

It's not the course, it's the professor.

It's not the job, it's the manager.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments