Saturday, October 06, 2007

Book Review: Juggling Elephants

I stopped by the mailbox in my office on Wednesday and found Juggling Elephants in an envelope. No indication whatsoever from whom it was sent.

I don't know if it was a message that I need to get my act together or just that I might enjoy it, but a parable in the spirit of Who Moved My Cheese?, it was an easy read.

The basic premise. It's impossible to juggle elephants, so don't even try. Your life is like a circus and you are the ringmaster. There are three rings

  1. Self ring
  2. Relationship ring
  3. Professional ring

Much like a ringmaster has to decide which ring to be in at a given time, so do you. And, you should never have a MAJOR act going on in each ring at the same time. What's more, you need to find the right acts to place in each ring so that the WHOLE circus is a success.

While I was reading it, I thought "cute, but hokey," but over the course of the next 2 days, I found myself asking the question of "what ring am I in now?" and "should I be putting this in a ring at all?"

So, I guess it had an impact on me. Any book that makes me think about how I think is worth it.

And a big thanks to whomever put it there!

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments